YIKES! Have you hear about the Yellow Sac Spider scare that recently caused the Mazda car company to recall their cars?
The recall came after there were spider webs found in the vents of the Mazda6 cars. Some 50,000 cars have been recalled due to the safety concern. The spiders could weave a web in a vent, which is connected to the fuel tank system and clog the tank's ventilation. The pressure on the fuel tank could lead to a crack and fuel leakage. There have been at least 20 cases in which spider webs have been found in the vents. The recall involves vehicles with 2.5 liter engines built from April 2008 to February 2010.
Some interesting facts about Yellow Sac Spiders:
- They have two rows of four eyes each (this is creepy!).
- Yellow color on the bottom of the abdomen.
- They like to enter homes and hide behind pictures, along baseboards and ceiling corners.
- Are one of the most common sources of spider bites.
- The bite of the spider affects cellular tissue and is usually restricted to the area of the bite. The initial bite is painless, but symptoms usually develop between 2-8 hours. The area then becomes painful and swollen.